Monday, October 7, 2013

Taking the Lid Off


  Today I set out quite lethargically to go about accomplishing my "to do" list.   Every day, there are a few things, some major, many minor, that I seek to get done by the end of the day.

 I'm so glad that God often has "other plans" for me.  I yearn for more of his interruptions to my daily plans.  And I yearn for a time when his plan is my plan, every single day.

 I enjoy videos on YouTube.  Like any part of the Internet, there is good and there is bad.  I know that some people don't believe in absolutes like that, but honestly, yes-- some things are preference and opinion, but then-- some things are just.. Bad.  And then, some are good- and great.

 This morning, I felt a bit of the energy and enthusiasm coming back, when watching a video called "The Keith Green Story."   Keith is an icon to many.   His music touched me deeply many years ago.  Then in the early 80's, a small plane in which he was a passenger went down and killed everyone on board.  I was devastated.  It was a big blow.   It is a breath of fresh air when you begin to understand that all that Keith wanted to be was a follower of Jesus.  Not a star, not an icon.  Just a regular guy who was sold out to God.

The lid of self covers up the love of God that is stored up in our hearts through faith.  He so lovingly came into our lives, and then we mess it all up by slowly wavering, moving, integrating our own "brand" of faith and truth into the wonderful person that Jesus Christ is.   We are told not to hide our light.   It is not just our mouths being closed that hides his Light.   It is our lives.

  The terms sometimes cloud the meaning. When I say lid, I am really saying "me." Help me get out of the way so you can be seen. Help me take the lid off.  Lord-- "less of me.. more of you."  John 15:5.

___________________________________________________________________

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."   2 Corinthians 4:7


No comments:

Post a Comment